Pre- and post-sup meals
When it comes to your pre-surf meal, you want something that will give you sustained energy and is easily digestible. Protein shake is a great starter and homemade natural muesli will give you all the paddle power and keeps you going for a few strong hours.
Pre-Surf Power Smoothie:
2 scoops natural whey protein powder
1 cup frozen fruit (any kind; try frozen bananas)
1 heaping teaspoon of ground flaxseeds
1 scoop super green food powder
1 cup water (you can also use yogurt for more protein and a thicker shake)
2 or 3 ice cubes
Few drops of honey to sweeten
Blend it all up and enjoy!
Home made Power Muslie:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats toasted with 1/4 cup honey and 45 ml canola oil
Dried fruit such as sultanas, apricots, figs, dates, blackcurrants (anything you like)
Sesame, chia, pumpkin or linseeds
Dried coconut flakes (you can lightly toast them too)
Chopped nuts such as almonds, walnuts, macadamia or beacan nuts
Preheat oven to 180C (355F), arranging a rack in the centre. Stir honey and oil together in a saucepan over low heat for about 2 minutes until they combine. This takes a little patience if you’re using quite solid honey, but keep stirring. Add the oats to the honey and stir to combine. Divide the oats on a single layer on a non stick or foil-lined baking tray, and bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring every 3-5 minutes until oats are golden. Allow to cool slightly, then mix all the dry ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Serve it with natural yogurt or skim-milk and top it up with some fresh berries, fruit/jam/whatever takes your fancy.
THE 15 BEST ENERGY FOODS TO FUEL YOUR FITNESS
These are foods that start sorting out your body the moment they enter your mouth by building the muscle and promoting fat burning. Stock up today!
1. Dairy products (skim or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese)- build strong bones, fire up weight loss.
2. Almonds and other nuts (with skins)- build muscle, reduce cravings
3. Eggs- build muscle, burn fat
4. Berries- improve satiety, prevent cravings
5. Peanut butter- burns fat, builds muscle
6. Beans and legumes- build muscle, helps burn fat, regulate digestion
7. Grapefruit- lowers insulin, regulates blood sugar and metabolism, be sure to eat the fleshy white membranes
8. Coconut oil and olive oil- promote fullness, not easily stores as fat
9. Green tea- fires up fat burning
10. Turkey and other lean meats- build muscle, strengthen the immune system
11. Fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, mackerel)- triggers satiety, fires up fat burning
12. Spinach, kale and leafy green vegetables- fight free radicals and improve recovery for better muscle building
13. Wholegrain (quinoa, brown rice, oats)- small doses prevent body from storing fat
14. Avocado and real butter- helps to burn fat
15. Chilli- Spikes metabolism